Childhood Bruxism Due to Stress
Bruxism is teeth grinding and clenching, which can happen to people of all ages. It can occur during the daytime, but is most likely to occur at night. That’s partly because during the daytime, you have the potential to control the habit. There’s no way to stop a teeth grinding habit during sleep. The main cause of bruxism appears to be stress. Mild bruxism can easily be solved with a mouthguard like the CustMbite Nightguard. Severe bruxism without treatment can lead to jaw disorders, headaches, damaged teeth, and other serious problems, and in the worst-case scenario, can lead to TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorder.
We are living in times that are more stressful than most of us have lived through before. This affects adults, but it also affects kids. Children, like adults, are social beings, and being at home for a year with only online school can have negative effects on their minds and bodies. They’re also experiencing the worry of a pandemic that they don’t fully understand but that is talked about on the news, by their parents, and even in school. This can all lead to a great deal of stress, and many children respond to stress by developing habits like bruxism.
Continue reading to learn how to help your child deal with stress and to learn how the CustMbite Nightguard can help your child if they suffer from nighttime bruxism, no matter what the cause may be.
Tips for Helping Kids Cope with Stress
- Let your child know when you notice something is bothering them in a non-accusatory way. This is just an observation that lets your child know you care what’s going on with them and are available if they want to talk.
- Listen when your child talks about what’s bothering them. Don’t attempt to fix the problem or play it down. Obviously, it matters to your child. Let them take the time they need to get everything out in the open.
- Let your child know you listened to them by restating what they said, giving the feeling a label. By putting their feelings into words, you give them a vocabulary that can help them understand what they are feeling both now and in the future.
- If there’s a specific situation causing stress, help your child brainstorm ideas on how they can handle it. Ask them how they think each idea will work. Encourage them to implement the idea they feel is best or guide them gently to a better idea.
- After listening to your child, be willing to move on. Sometimes all they need to do is express their feelings and know that they have been heard by someone who cares. At that point, something more fun can be the best thing for them.
- Limit your child’s day-to-day demands. If too many activities are causing them stress, for example, limit their activities. Also, be aware of what you talk about around them when you are stressed out. They may not understand, but they can pick up your concern.
- Spend time with your child just being together. They may not want to talk about what’s stressing them out, but knowing you’re there gives them the comfort that if they did, they can.
How the CustMbite Nightguard Works to Mitigate the Consequences of Bruxism
Most teeth grinding mouthguards are made for adults, and it can be hard to find one sized for children. That’s why we’ve developed our nightguard in a petite size suitable for younger children. The guard is made of our patented VistaMaxx material, which is tough enough to stand up to your child’s teeth grinding while being flexible enough to be comfortable for them to wear. A comfortable fit is especially important for kids with autism and other sensory conditions.
The nightguard comes with instructions for custom-fitting it to your child’s teeth. We have one of the only nightguards that is meant to work for children with or without braces, and special instructions for fitting are included for those who have braces. The CustMbite Nightguard comes in five colors: clear, pink, blue, navy, and black. This way, your child can choose the color they prefer. This can give them a feeling of investment in the device so they are more likely to wear it all night, every night.
The CustMbite Nightguard has been evaluated and cleared by the FDA and is free of BPA, PVC, latex, and phthalates for your child’s safety. It does not absorb water, saliva, or bacteria and is easy to clean each morning when they brush their teeth.
Where can I get a CustMbite Nightguard for my child?
The CustMbite Nightguard was developed for your child’s comfort and superior protection against the effects of nighttime bruxism. It’s an affordable and effective nightguard—the best on the market. Order the best nightguard for your child online today and see the difference the CustMbite Nightguard can make!
Your comfort is our highest priority.
Sleep comfortably with CustMbite. Bruxism and TMJ disorder, both often caused by teeth grinding or clenching during sleep, can cause many problems, including jaw discomfort, headaches, and sleep disruption.
With CustMbite, you can rest assured knowing that our nightguard was created specifically with your comfort in mind. Our patented Vistamaxx™ material will provide a snug and secure fit to your teeth, so not only will they be protected from grinding and clenching, you'll also sleep comfortable every night.