Bruxism and TMJ As You Age
Some people have problems with bruxism or TMJ throughout their life, but it becomes much more obvious as people age. These disorders involve grinding or clenching the teeth as you sleep, causing headaches, jaw pain, and neck pain upon waking or throughout the day. You can work to control these behaviors during the day, but at night, you can’t control them as easily. That’s where the CustMbite Nightguard comes in. It’s an easy-to-use way to address the symptoms of grinding or clenching your teeth during sleep. Continue reading to learn about other causes of poor sleep as you age and to learn how the CustMbite Nightguard works to ease your pain.
Causes of Poor Sleep As You Age
- The main cause of poor sleep is insomnia. This is when you have difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep without any interrupting factors. In addition, your daytime function is hindered because of the sleep loss. This is very common at all ages, and becomes more common as people age. A study discovered that nearly 25 percent of older adults had at least occasional symptoms of insomnia.
- Poor sleep habits can also cause sleep problems. This includes not having a regular sleep and wake time, drinking caffeine or alcohol shortly before bedtime, napping for a long time or napping later than 3 pm, and spending time awake in bed, among others. These habits may not have hindered your sleep when you were younger, but as you age, you become more sensitive to bad sleep habits.
- There are certain chronic medical illnesses that can lead to sleep issues. Conditions like heartburn, Alzheimer’s disease, menopause, arthritis, and heart failure can have a negative effect on your ability to sleep.
- There are some medicines that can cause you to have problems falling or staying asleep.
- Psychological stress can also affect the quality and quantity of sleep you get. For example, you’re twice as likely to suffer from depression as you age compared to when you were younger. Life changes, whether you consider them good or bad, can also cause stress. Whether it’s a new grandchild or the death of a loved one, moving, or experiencing physical limitations you’re not used to, stress can cause sleeping difficulties.
- Even retirement, considered one of the greatest benefits of old age, can cause your sleep-wake schedule to become irregular, which can lead to sleep issues.
Sleeping less is not always something to be concerned about, but seniors still need quality sleep. The way to determine if you’re not getting enough sleep is to consider how you feel during the day. You want to feel rested and energetic when you wake up. On the other hand, if you find that you are fatigued, fuzzy in the brain, and have a hard time accomplishing normal daily tasks, you should look into your lack of sleep and likely contact a doctor.
If you suspect bruxism or TMJ to be the culprit, a good sleep mouth guard can easily address the problem.
How the CustMbite Nightguard Can Help You Sleep Better
If your sleeping problems are new and due to advancing age, you may not have thought of using a nightguard to help you sleep. But if you’re waking up with headaches, aching jaws, or neck aches, consider the CustMbite Nightguard.
Our nightguard was developed with the assistance of dental professionals to be effective and comfortable. After all, it doesn’t matter how effective a product is if you don’t wear it because it’s uncomfortable. Unlike other nightguards on the market, the CustMbite Nightguard doesn’t fall out during the night. That’s because the first thing you do when you get it is mold it to your teeth. You don’t need to send in bulky teeth impressions to your dentist with our nightguard. All you need to mold it to your teeth is a microwave, a bowl of cold water, and two minutes.
Because the sleep guard is made with our patented VistaMaxx material, you can be confident that it’s tough enough to handle the pressure from grinding your teeth and clenching your jaw. It can prevent your teeth from grinding together so that you don’t wear down your enamel and expose the raw nerves, which can happen with continual teeth grinding or clenching. The material is FDA-cleared, BPA-free, and it does not absorb bacteria, so it’s easy to care for. To clean it, you can just toss it in the dishwasher!
How can I get my own CustMbite Nightguard?
If you’re looking for an affordable nightguard with the same effectiveness of a dentist-provided option, the CustMbite Nightguard is what you need. It costs less than half of a dentist-provided nightguard, and works as well. In fact, you can easily remold the CustMbite Nightguard if necessary due to dental work or other changes in your teeth. Purchase your own CustMbite Nightguard today and experience the relief of eliminated pain and a restful night’s sleep.
Your comfort is our highest priority.
Sleep comfortably with CustMbite. Bruxism and TMJ disorder, both often caused by teeth grinding or clenching during sleep, can cause many problems, including jaw discomfort, headaches, and sleep disruption.
With CustMbite, you can rest assured knowing that our nightguard was created specifically with your comfort in mind. Our patented Vistamaxx™ material will provide a snug and secure fit to your teeth, so not only will they be protected from grinding and clenching, you'll also sleep comfortable every night.