Excessive Napping Due to TMJ and Bruxism
Taking a nap is an easy way to relax and recharge. Napping can be a habit with a number of causes. Depression can cause excessive napping, as can an undiagnosed (or diagnosed) acute or chronic illness. But if you’ve been finding yourself napping overly much and these conditions don’t apply, you might consider how your jaw and teeth are feeling. If you wake up with jaw or teeth pain, you may be suffering from TMJ or bruxism.
TMJ causes you to clench your teeth during sleep, and you can recognize it by the clicking sound your jaw makes when you eat or otherwise move your jaw up and down. Bruxism means that you grind your teeth, whether during sleep or while you’re awake. You may wake up with moderate to severe teeth pain, and may also find yourself grinding your teeth when you’re awake. Of course, when you’re awake, you can stop yourself from clenching or grinding your teeth. But at night, you’re not in control. That’s when you need the CustMbite Nightguard to help prevent teeth clenching and grinding. Continue reading to learn more about how our sleep mouth guard could help you avoid sleeping your free time away.
What can I do instead of napping?
If you’ve become used to napping due to TMJ or bruxism waking you up during the night, you might have a hard time giving up the habit even after you’ve addressed the problem. If you’d like to cut down on naps, it may be helpful to keep a list of things that you can do to energize you when you feel the desire to nap. You might think this list would include quiet activities that are restful, but it’s just the opposite. When your eyelids are drooping, it’s time to get up and move. Here are just a few ideas to get you moving:
- Take the dog (or just yourself) for a walk. It will get your blood pumping and get you breathing fresh air, two things that help wake you up when you’re feeling tired for no particular reason.
- Clean a room. Not as fun as taking a walk, but with a satisfying result — a nice clean kitchen, bathroom, or living room. The moving and stretching you do during cleaning will definitely wake you up.
- Walk to the library and check out some books. While sitting and reading when you’re tempted to take a nap may be the quick route to dozing off, walking to the library can satisfy your literary interests and keep you energized.
- Dance it out. Turn on your favorite dance music, from big band to hip hop or anything in between, and have a private dance party. You don’t have to worry about whether you have great moves or you look like a fish out of water — just enjoy dancing! It gets your blood moving and wakes you up both mentally and physically.
- Mow the lawn or do other yardwork. Again, not as fun as other ideas, but it completes a chore that needs to get done, gets your blood flowing, and you get to enjoy the fresh air. Not to mention the great smell of fresh-mown grass.
- Not mobile enough to do any of these activities? Call somebody you love having long talks with and catch up on the latest news about your families, reminisce about the past, or discuss current events until the feeling of sleepiness has passed.
- Have a healthy snack and a glass of water. Eating and drinking can wake you up when you’re feeling drowsy.
How can the CustMbite Nightguard help me cut down on excess napping?
We developed the CustMbite Nightguard with the help of dental professionals. It’s tough enough to help alleviate the symptoms of clenching or grinding, and yet thin enough to be comfortable. Bulkier sleep mouth guards are simply not comfortable, and many end up on nightstands — not in your mouth. Effectiveness and comfort blend together in the CustMbite Nightguard, making it an easy-to-use solution for TMJ or bruxism during sleep.
It’s also easy to care for. It’s made of our patented VistaMaxx material, which does not absorb bacteria, so it’s easy to keep clean. In fact, you can toss it in the dishwasher and wash with a load of dishes to clean it if you like. Otherwise, you can gently wash it with soap and water.
Where can I get the CustMbite Nightguard?
If you’re looking for an affordable nightguard, you can find it in the CustMbite Nightguard. It costs less than half of what you might purchase at the dentist, and you can customize it right at home in just a couple of minutes. See how easy it can be to cut down on naps and order the best custom-fit nightguard today!
Your comfort is our highest priority.
Sleep comfortably with CustMbite. Bruxism and TMJ disorder, both often caused by teeth grinding or clenching during sleep, can cause many problems, including jaw discomfort, headaches, and sleep disruption.
With CustMbite, you can rest assured knowing that our nightguard was created specifically with your comfort in mind. Our patented Vistamaxx™ material will provide a snug and secure fit to your teeth, so not only will they be protected from grinding and clenching, you'll also sleep comfortable every night.